Date: 20th September 2012 at 11:02am
Written by:

Hatters beaten by Woking:

County lost their third consecutive home game as once again they threw away a lead. It is now seven games without a win for Jim Gannon’s men who have been leading in five of the last six games.

Gannon made two changes to the team that had earned a good point on the road at Newport, bringing in Matty Mainwaring, who had rejoined the club on non-contract terms earlier in the week and recalling Danny Rowe. Craig Hobson and Jon Nolan dropping to the bench.

Rowe was on the end of the first chance of the game as he struck a loose ball just passed Aaron Howe’s post in the 2nd minute.

Gavin McCallum, showing the visitors attacking intent, almost opened the scoring for the visitors with two quick fire opportunities.

His first effort, from a decent cross by Bradley Bubb, was blocked on the line by Jordan Fagbola, before his superb left foot curler came back off post in 7th minutes with Ian Ormson well beaten.

With both sides playing neat football, County’s players and supporters were becoming frustrated by a series of offside decisions.

The Hatters won the first corner of game on 14 minutes and with it came the opening goal as Alex Kenyon glanced home Sam Sheridan’s corner for his first goal in County’s colours.

A spell of neat football from the Hatters almost brought a second goal as Sean Newton’s cross found Danny Whitehead, the young forward laid off to Rowe who’s goal bound shot was blocked by Joe McNerney.

The big defender appeared to handle the ball in his box on the next attack, and with County claiming a penalty, Woking broke to the other end, Bubb forcing Ormson into a good save at his post.

Sheridan created a great chance for a second goal with a superb run down the left, his cross evading Hattersley in the 6 yard box, as County looked to build on their lead.

Once again the failure to grab a second goal whilst on top, cost the Hatters as McCallum picked up loose header from Connor before racing forward unchallenged to place an effort into the far corner on 24 minutes.

Mainwaring created an opening for Rowe, who’s clever feet allowed him to drift inside the 6 yard box with Howe tipping his shot around post for a corner kick.

A strange decision from referee Ford almost cost County dear as another Woking effort skimmed Ormson’s crossbar. A quickly taken free kick by Kevin Betsy had been picked up by Adam Doyle, with the referee allowing the original free kick to be taken again.

Both sides had chances to take the lead before the break. Connor heading wide from Sheridan’s free kick, whilst a poor back pass from the County skipper gave the visitors a chance in the last minute of the half.

HT: Stockport County 1 (Kenyon) Woking 1

Having received a broken nose against Telford three weeks earlier Danny Hattersley was once again in the wars, leaving the pitch in the first minute of the second half with blood pouring from his nose after he had taken a blow to the face.

The visitors wasting a good chance to take the lead whilst the Hatters were down to ten men, Betsy shooting straight at Ormson after Bubb had found him free in the box.

Goal scorer McCallum somehow avoided a card as he clearly dived in the County box and also picked up the ball. Referee Ford awarding a free kick to the Hatters.

A good spell of pressure from County got the Edgeley Park on their feet.

Good play down the left from Sheridan and Newton brought another corner, with Connor again heading Sheridan’s kick wide. Fagbola’s header from a Newton corner was superbly saved by Howe to keep scores level, whilst Mainwaring fired an effort over the bar from 25 yards as County look to grab lead.

Continued pressure from the Hatters saw Newton’s hard low cross beat everyone in the box before drifting out for a goal kick. Loick Pires replacing McCallum during the break in play.

Within 2 minutes Pires had won the game for his side as he fired home after picking up loose ball in the County midfield on 64 minutes. The tall striker with time to look up and pick his spot.

Howe kept the scores level with another good save from a powerful Kenyon effort, with Craig Hobson, Alex Meaney and Jon Nolan replacing the tiring Mainwaring, Rowe and Sheridan as Gannon looked for more firepower.

Nolan earned a booking within two minutes of his arrival despite having appeared to win the ball. The midfielder was booked for foul on Betsy, with visiting striker winning cheap free kick after going over County player’s outstretched leg.

Things got worse for the redheaded midfielder soon after. He looked to block a clearance from Doyle who made a meal of the contact to earn Nolan a second yellow card and with his dismissal any chance of the Hatters earning a point from the game had gone.

The inconsistency of the games decisions brought cries of ‘cheat’ from around the ground as Hobson was clattered from behind by Brett Johnson, with the free kick going to visitors.

Mike Cestor replaced Bubb with five minutes remaining and almost immediately he clattered into Connor to earn a free to County. The Woking defender escaping without even a word from Mr Ford.

With the Hatters chasing a point, gaps appeared at the back and Betsy wasted a chance to kill the game off in the final minute of added time, blasting well wide when clear, Ormson also saving well from Lee Sawyer just before the final whistle.

FT: Stockport County 1 (Kenyon) Woking 2

Starting XI: Ormson, Newton, Connor, Tunnicliffe, Whitehead, Kenyon, Hattersley, Sheridan (Nolan), Rowe (Meaney), Fagbola, Mainwaring (Hobson).

Subs: King, Halls, Hobson, Meaney, Nolan.

ATT: 3,151 (107)