Date: 7th May 2006 at 9:23am
Written by:

We did it. We stayed up. Who would have thought on the 26th December 2005, at 16:45 when it was 6-0 to Macclesfield that we would actually stay up. I know I certainly didn?t think that, especially with Turner in charge.

But then a real legend was appointed. Jim Gannon. 450+ appearances for County, and he knows what its like to wear the shirt with pride.

The long day started at 10 when we left to go for breakfast at the Rising Sun in Bredbury. When 16 of us got the minibus down to Edgeley at about 1, you could tell it was going to be a packed EP with Carlisle and County fans walking round in huge numbers.

I?m not one for going into the ground early, but I couldn?t stand the wait and went in at 2:15. The Vernon Stand was nearly almost full at this time, with Carlisle fans celebrating winning League Two.

Both sets of players made their way onto the pitch, and the Cheadle End was surprisingly full at 2:30 when they did this. Singing started with both sets of fans making noise while the players were still warming up.

When the players did come out to play, as we did at Bury, the lower tier of the Cheadle End held up cards with the Trust badge at either side and a 12 in the middle, symbolising that the County fans are the 12th man.

County started with a high tempo, and Adam Griffin went close with a flick on after some good work by Jamie Ward on the right.

Jason Taylor and Kevin O?Connor both had chances but failed to capitalise.

The some great work by Adam Griffin on the left hand side gave him a chance to cross, but Tes Bramble and Keith Briggs both failed to get anything on it.

Murray saw his shot fly wide in what was Carlisle?s first chance of the match.

James Spencer didn?t have much to do in the County net so far, but he pulled off a brilliant save after Murray had thought he had headed in.

County should have had a penalty, but for the poor referee (who was constantly poor all game for both sides), Aranalde handled in the box but the referee just waved play on to the despair of the Cheadle End.

County went into half time at 0-0, and the other scores meant that at this moment County would be staying up. It was Bury 1-0 Notts County and Oxford 1-1 Leyton Orient.

We should really rename this guy Henry Bramble. He had 4 players on him at the edge of the box, but he turned and gave himself enough space to shoot and he thought it had gone in but for a magnificent save from the Carlisle keeper.

County fans thought they had took the lead when Briggs powered a head towards the goal but it somehow stayed out.

Griffin had a good effort with an overhead kick but it failed to trouble the Carlisle keeper.

Then in a dull patch of the game, the County fans suddenly started to cheer as if County had scored. News was coming through that Leyton Orient had took the lead at Oxford, and whatever was to happen at County if the score was to stay the same at Oxford then County would stay up.

But then news came through that Oxford had equalised! But the atmosphere was still rocking, as both sets of fans carried on to sing loudly throughout the match.

Some great work from Ward on the right, and some great skills to get past the Carlisle left back resulted in a great chance but Ward hit the ball at the side of the net.

The Carlisle boss then brought himself on, and tried a Roberto Carlos style free kick from about 35 yards out. Fortunately it ended up more like a Sunday league players free kick as the ball just managed to make it to the County defence in the penalty area!

The final whistle went and a few fans were celebrating but, thanks to the guy behind me, I knew that the other 2 games were still going on.

Notts County had pulled it back to 2-2, and it was 2-2 at Oxford. Then the players started to celebrate, but the Oxford game was still going on with 5 minutes of injury time. We decided to go down to the front as people went on the pitch, as I was walking down the guy shouted ?3-2 to Orient, game over!? then the real celebrations started as County were definitely up!

The County fans got on the pitch, and mobbed the players. People were hugging complete strangers, and to show how respectful the County fans were we all went over to the Carlisle fans to applaud them..

The police slowly got the fans off the pitch, and the County players came back out to do a lap of honour. Once again it was great to see some Carlisle fans staying to clap the County players in their lap of honour.

So that is it for the season! County stay up! Who would have thought it on the 26th December 2005???

Photos of the celebration to follow later!


2 Replies to “WE ARE STAYING UP!!”

  • great result and great comeback from being so far away from safety at christmas time

  • ” glad you have managed to stay up- well done lads and good luck next season”

Comments are closed.