Date: 29th December 2007 at 5:33pm
Written by:

Conrad Logan and Anthony Elding were the heroes for the Hatters as a late penalty save and a solitary Elding goal was enough to condemn Wrexham to their fifth successive loss.

Two changes were made to the County line up as Jason Taylor and Michael Rose came in, in a straight swap for Adam Griffin and Keith Briggs, who has now played his last game for County.

Adam Proudlock and Liam Dickinson started up front, Anthony Elding started on the bench.

In a first half that was dominated by midfielders, County edged out Wrexham on posession, with central midfielders Gary Dicker and Paul Turnbull seeing alot of the ball.

Wrexham had the first real clear cut chance though, as attacker Sam Aiston ran through the County defence and was bodychecked by Gaz Owen. Former Sunderland talent Michael Proctor blasted the resulting free kick straight into the stomach of Michael Raynes.

Just before the quater hour mark, bruising midfielder Neil Roberts layed it on a plate for Llwelleyn to strike just over the bar.

County had their first real chance when a bursting run from Jason Taylor was halted ilegally by Taylor. Neil Taylor, that is. Taylor was booked, and from the resulting free kick, Pilkngton forced a good save from ex County loanee Anthony Williams.

Minutes later, an outswinging corner by the impressive Pilkington caught Wrexham off guard, and the ball bobbled out to David Poole, who drove his strike over the Kop End.

Half-time came and went with no goals, could County do what they did last season and grab a winner?

Two substitutions at half time as Adam Proudlock made way for Anthony Elding, and David Poole was replaced for wing back Adam Griffin.

Wrexham came out firing on all cylinders and Neil Roberts blasted a piledriver straight into Logans arms, who had been minimally tested previous to this effort.

County stepped it up a gear though, encouraged by the travelling fans, and it started to pay off as Wrexhams goal came under siege as County oushed for a goal.

Liam Dickinson broke free but fired wide.

Then, on the hour mark, County finally got the breakthrough from top scorer Anthony Elding, as his effort from the edge of the 18 yard box snuck into Williams’ far post. 1-0 County, and with our magnificent away record, we didn’t really look like conceding even when Steve Evans flicked a header goalwards. Logan came and collected, and County broke.

Liam Dickinson recieved the ball on the far right, and played a magnificent ball to Pilkington, but it was blocked at the last second and we had a corner.

An inswinger by Rose was flicked back to Griffin who fizzed his shot wide. County were piling on the pressure, but disaster struck with just twenty minutes left.

A rare second half effort on goal by former County target Ryan Valentine was blocke by Raynes, but as Roberts tried to collect and striker on goal, Jason Taylor inadvertently blocked the ball with his lower arm. Penalty.

Valentine stepped up, but a low left hand corner strike was superbly STOPPED by Logan and County breathed again.

No more real chances, and County held on for the vital win.

A good away win, made even better by a late West Ham goal to beat Man Utd.

Now lets make Edgeley Park a fortress again, and we’ll be in with a shout.



One Reply to “Wrexham 0-1 County”

Comments are closed.